All posts by admin

Minutes 2002-11

Minutes of Meeting 20 Nov 2002

Meeting on Wednesday, 20th November 2002, at 7.00pm in the Staff Room, South Street Building.

Present: Mrs M Brown, Mrs C Dunn, Mrs I Falconer, Mr J Flegg, Mr C Jessop,

Prof P McKiernan (Chair), Mr C Palmer, Mrs S Thomson, Mrs M Wilson (Clerk)

In Attendance: Mr L S G Matheson, Rector, Councillor John Bell

Apologies: Mr A Liggat, Dr E Atkins, Councillor J A Liston, Mr D Macgregor

Minutes of previous meeting (30/10/020 accepted as read.

Matters arising from previous meeting: Headon Development Meeting- attended by Professor McKiernan and Mr Matheson. Professor McKiernan advised the Board that the meeting had been attended by 30/35 people including David Corner University of St Andrews Secretary. It was stressed at the meeting that this was a long-term project out towards the west of the town. Though had been given to a school, a shopping mall, public buildings etc. There had been a model of the plans and a map showing the proposed site. Dr Falconer asked if perhaps the maps could be scanned and put on the Madras website?

Forum: The Chair felt it would be a good idea after the next Forum to bring all interested parties together in the spring.

Correspondence: Letter from Fife Council advising that the new Head of Education Mr Roger Stewart would be starting in January 2003. Mr A Mackay leaves in December. Invitation from the School Board to Mr Stewart?

Letter from the Locality Manager, Fife Council, re consultation meeting on 3rd December 2002 at Burgh Chambers 7-9pm. Councillor Bell recommended these meetings strongly as they dealt with road safety – transport services etc.

Fife Council Education Service – A Strategy for School Inclusion in Fife Consultation: John Flegg to collate responses from Board Members and Clerk to type and send to D Mackenzie, Acting Senior Manager Support for Learning, Education Service.

AOCB: Mr Matheson read Mr MacKay’s press statement regarding the situation following the incident at Madras Kilrymont Road swimming pool yesterday afternoon. The Chair had spoken to Cllr Helen Law, Cllr Drew Edwards, Cllr Jane Ann Liston. He had also taken calls from the Courier/Evening Telegraph saying that ‘ it was dangerous to lay blame for this incident while enquiries were being carried out’.

Councillor Bell asked ‘What does Madras School Board want for the school?’ The Chair replied that they wished to stimulate interest in a number of options – the building of two schools or the building of one large school. The Chair said that the ‘status quo’ was not an option. Councillor Bell said that Councillors in East Fife were very much in favour of a new school and that they would discuss any proposals the Board might have – they wished to be part of the consultation.

Mr Matheson said that there were no contingency arrangements – at present the PE department were using the Cosmos Centre on a regular basis due to lack of space and that we would have to consider hiring the University playing fields and other local facilities. . There were 6 class-teaching areas out of use in K/Road and 2 in South Street. He said that he and the staff were sympathetic and supportive of their Community Use Colleagues, Mr Herd, Head of Centre and his staff and Mr David Somerville Head of Community Services.

Mr Palmer asked Mr Matheson if there was any follow-up after his meeting with Mr MacKay. Mr Matheson said that they had had an interesting exchange of views but he awaited any clear outcome.

Mrs Thomson asked if the Students’ Scenario of Education in East Fife Schools was completed. Dr Falconer advised no. Mrs Thomson would like a copy of the information when published.

Mrs Brown brought the Board’s attention to the problem of parking in South Street and the accessibility of the back car park at South Street. You couldn’t park on the grass and this was not allowed due to Health & Safety. The Council Bin lorry parks in the entranceway and staff have to wait up to 15mins for them to move while a class is waiting at the other building.

Mr Matheson said that he had asked for a costing to remove the remaining grass at the back of the school and tar it to allow cars to part. The cost in the region of £30,000.

The Chair asked if it would help to write to the Cleansing Department or Roads and request that double yellow lines be painted?

Mrs Dunn said that she would like to state how well the situation regarding the swimming pool had been handled by staff in school today. Her daughter had just been told that swimming had been cancelled and that they would be going into the hall to watch a video.

Mr Matheson advised the Board that Chief Executive Douglas Sinclair had visited the school about lunchtime and was shocked at the lack of space. He spoke to a number of pupils and staff. He said a single site would be better – no travelling between buildings. He visited K/Rd PE block and was horrified at the lack of games/changing /shower facilities for the number of pupils. Mr Matheson stated that this was not a sustainable situation and all that staff needed to know what the plan is for the future.

There being no further business the Chair closed the meeting by thanking all the Board for their attendance on what had been a sad day for us all. He said that we must use the opportunity to accelerate the process of change.

Peter McKiernan, Chairman
MADRAS COLLEGE SCHOOL BOARD
Wednesday, 5th February 2003
South Street Staff Room
At 7pm

Minutes 2002-10

Minutes 30 October 2002

Meeting on Wednesday, 30th October 2002, at 7.30pm in the Staff Room, South Street Building.

Present: Mrs M Brown, Mrs C Dunn, Mrs I Falconer, Mr J Flegg, Mr C Jessop, Mr D Macgregor, Prof P McKiernan (Chair), Mr C Palmer, Mrs M Wilson (Clerk)

In Attendance: Mr L S G Matheson, Rector

Apologies: Mr A Liggat, Dr E Atkins, Councillor J A Liston, Mrs I Rogerson, Mrs S Thomson

Minutes of previous Meeting (29/05/02) accepted by D Macgregor, seconded by I Falconer and Minutes of Meeting (29/06/02) accepted by D Macgregor and seconded by C Palmer.

Matters arising from previous meeting (29/06/02): Publicity for School and Board– D Macgregor advised the Board the St Andrews Community Council newsletter would be issued to all households soon and that the main article was about Madras College – the need for a new school.
National Debate on Education– Forms replied to and findings now available from Clerk.

Letter to Mr A McKay – still awaiting reply – clerk to follow up.

Feedback on Forums – The Chairman– Professor McKiernan said that the two mini forums had been very successful and that there had been a great deal of publicity generated by them. He had met with MSP Ian Smith who had asked for the North East Fife School problems be debated at Scottish Parliament, which upset the Convenor of FC who felt that discussions etc should take place with them. The Chair said that he had also had a meeting with Councillor Law and Councillor Edward wish to work together with Madras SB on project. They said that Madras was very high on list if options – dearth of information demographics, social leads etc. St Andrews University Students are working with FC on a project. He felt that things were progressing and felt that perhaps Forum 5 could involve all Primary School Boards, School Boards from Bell Baxter and Waid and also pre school involvement. Mr Flegg felt that Newport /Balmullo had a different perspective re a new school in the bridgehead area. After a short discussion, it was felt that All parents of pre school and primary schools be informed of the options – be given a fact sheet and then organise another Forum perhaps in the Guardbridge area. Professor McKiernan said that he had also spoken to Joe Headon of Headon Developments re the whole of the western expansion – general issues plans. He said that he built houses and had not been involved in building a school before but would talk to other building companies who have. He said that the Board had received an invitation to a general meeting that Mr Headon was holding on 11 November regarding the housing developments. Mr Matheson said that he also had received an invitation. The Board agreed that the Chair would attend the meeting as an observer and report back. Mr Matheson said that he would also attend the meeting.

The Madras School Board Web-site -I Falconer – Dr Falconer had issued information on Web-sites to board members. She said that the School Board had an obligation to keep parents involved in what we were doing and one way was a web site. It was agreed that before designing a web site that we should look into being part of Madras College’s website. Dr Falconer/ Mr Matheson to liaise with A Pardoe about pupils involvement in keeping the web-site up to date. The Chairman thanked Dr Falconer for her report.

Report from Rector on School Budgets– Mr Matheson advised the Board that Department heads were working on a ‘shoe string’ budget and that this was very frustrating for them, as they do not have enough money for resources for their department. Regarding hiring local tradesmen to carry out work, the Council have been slightly more flexible in their approach but he said that it was very difficult to get things done urgently. Mr Matheson advised the Board that Queen Anne and Kirkland had similar budgets – but that the budget for Madras was insufficient for a split-site school. He had asked Mr MacKay to put to Fife Council that Madras could been classed as two schools in terms of funding for as long as it remains a split-site .

AOCB – Letter from Mr McKay inviting member’s of School Boards to training sessions. Anyone interest to advise Clerk.

Professor McKiernan said that at past Board meetings they had split into groups eg Health, Fabric and Maintenance, Transport and at the end of every meeting each group would give a brief report on their subject. He asked how the Board felt about doing this again for exampled having three groups 1, Communication, 2. School Open Agenda 3, Forum related. The majority of the Board felt that they wished to continue with the present form of meeting.

Mr Matheson said that a new Head Janitor had been appointed – Mr B Simpson and asked the Board to consider asking him to become a non-teaching staff representative. He felt that Mr Simpson would be an asset to the Board. The Board agreed.

D Macgregor to edit a Board Christmas News Letter?

Dr Falconer gave a breakdown of what the students are doing regarding a scenario of Education in East Fife Schools. Though the final report will not be ready until the end of November the students did not consider that the status quo was even an option.

Madras felt that the second option of building a school in the Newport/Tayport area as ultimately giving rise to problem that madras has now. Madras/Waid/Bell Baxter joins together as part of a network of small schools electronically linked. *Travel-v- attainment – travel had a detrimental effect on behaviour in school *Children from middleclass can cope with being in larger schools better than poorer class children. *The evidence was inconclusive so far from the students’ survey.

Mrs Brown asked if there had been any more information regarding the Travel Expenses problem. Professor McKiernan said that to date we had received a letter from M Miller stating that this was being looked into. Mrs Brown said that at future meetings she would be bringing up the subject of McCrone and the impact re job sizing etc.

Headon Development – Professor McKiernan and Mr Matheson going to listen.

Professor McKiernan asked if members were happy to continue having the meeting in South Street. The members were. The next meeting would be held in the Staff Room in South Street on 20th November 2002 at the earlier time of 7pm.

There being no further business the Chair closed the meeting by thanking all members for their contribution.

Minutes 2002-06

Minutes 27 June 2002

Meeting on Thursday, 27th June 2002 in the Meeting Room, Kilrymont Road Building

Present: Ms Atkins, Dr Falconer, Mr Macgregor, Prof McKiernan, (Chair), Mr Palmer, Mrs Rogerson, Mrs Thomson, Mrs Wilson (Clerk),

In Attendance: Mr L SG Matheson

1. Apologies: Mrs Brown, Mr Jessop and Mrs Dunn

2. Minutes to be held over until next meeting.

Item 2 “Staff Development” line 5-second word should be “Fife” and not “Fie”.

Item 4 matters arising from previous minutes – The paragraph beginning “Staff Travelling Expenses” should read as follows “A letter has been sent to Mr MacKay on 15th May regarding this, to date we have had no reply. Clerk to send letter requesting reply”.

Item 4 Matters arising from previous minutes the paragraph beginning “The Forum” should read as follows “Meeting of sub-group (Mrs Rogerson, Mr Macgregor, Mr Matheson and Dr Falconer), Clerk apologised to Mrs Thomson for not advising her of the date of the meeting. The sub-group compiled a letter to Councillor Law which was sent by e-mail on 2nd May 2002. To date no reply has been received. Clerk has tried to contact Councillor Law by phone leaving a message but no response.”

3. Matters arising from previous meeting

Publicity for School/ School Board/PTA: The Rector advised that Donald Macgregor liaise with Mr Mackay, (Assistant Rector) and would place notices re future School Board meetings and issues the Board were currently discussing.

Forum Second mini forum arranged for 12th September in Madras College, South Street.

National Debate on Education: the Chair asked if Board members would complete the form giving their own opinions and that he would collate them and send them off. The forms had to be with the Chair by 4th July. Chair/Clerk to write to the new co-opted members and enclose a feedback form.

School Board Budget Statements: It was noted that the per capita allocation for Continuing Professional Development for teachers had been reduced. The Board wished their concern to be noted and the Chair would include this in his letter to Mr McKay.

Report form Rector on school finances to be given at next meeting.

There being no further business the Chair closed the meeting by asking the Rector to convey the Boards thanks to the teaching staff for all they had done this year, and wishing everyone a good holiday.

The meeting closed at 8.10 pm